“It’s fantastic to confirm that Oscar has signed a multi-year contract extension with the team. Oscar is an asset to McLaren and always impresses with his performance, work ethic and attitude, so this is an easy decision for the team to make,” said McLaren Team Principal Andrea Stella, quoted from the official Formula 1 website, Thursday.
The 22-year-old driver earned his first top-three finish in F1 when he secured second place in the Belgian Grand Prix Sprint and has scored points on six occasions.
His most recent points came from the Singapore GP, where he bounced back from 17th place to finish seventh in the main race.
“I am delighted to continue our partnership with Oscar until the end of 2026. He is an incredible talent and an asset to the team, so it’s fantastic to be committed to each other over the long term,” said McLaren CEO Zak Brown.
“Oscar has already proven what he can do on track and has been instrumental in the changes we’ve experienced so far this season. He fits in perfectly with the team and is highly valued by the entire McLaren Racing family,” he added.
On the other hand, Piastri said he was happy to extend his partnership with McLaren for many years. He also admitted that he wanted to fight at the front of the grid with the team, and in line with the vision and foundation that had been built together.
“The team’s consistent commitment to me has made me feel very valued. Stability was a big advantage at the start of my career, and having a team as prestigious as McLaren gives me the opportunity to continue the work we have started,” Piastri said.